Biden’s DOJ bent the knee to China and allowed Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou to return home from Canada.
This comes after Tony Podesta revealed he was paid $500,000 to lobby the Biden administration on behalf of Huawei.
A Chinese technology executive held in Canada on US fraud charges has left the country after a deal with prosecutors, following years of diplomatic tensions over her fate.
Meng Wanzhou, chief financial officer of Huawei, was detained on fraud charges in December 2018 at the request of the US.
On Friday, the US Department of Justice dropped an extradition request for her.
Time to connect the dots.
Chinese tech giant Huawei paid Democratic lobbyist and donor Tony Podesta $500,000 to lobby the White House during the third quarter – the same period in which the Biden DOJ struck a deal to allow Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou to return home from Canada, where she was awaiting extradition to face criminal charges in the US.
Whether Podesta spirit-cooked up Wanzhou’s release is unknown, however the White House says they had nothing to do with it – and that the company is still subject to trade restrictions.
“This was a law enforcement matter that was entirely in the Justice Department’s hands – not a policy matter,” a White House official told CNBC. “As the Justice Department has said, they ‘reached the decision to offer a deferred prosecution agreement with Ms. Meng independently, based on the facts and the law, and an assessment of litigation risk.”
“President Biden and this administration believe digital infrastructure equipment made by untrustworthy vendors, like Huawei, pose a threat to the security of the U.S., our allies, and our partners. Export controls against Huawei remain in place,” the official continued, adding. “We are engaging with all of our partners and allies on the risks posed by Huawei and dozens of countries and carriers have made the decision to exclude Huawei from their 5G networks. And we expect this trend to continue.”
Huawei was designated a national security threat by the FCC.
The FCC even doubled down on Huawei being a national security threat earlier this year under the Biden administration.
Huawei was designated a national security threat by the Federal Communications Commission last year because of its “close ties to the Chinese Communist Party and China’s military apparatus,” according to former FCC Chairman Ajit Pai.
The FCC doubled down on its designation of Huawei as a threat this year. And one of President Biden’s nominees for a key Commerce Department post said last month that he expects sanctions against Huawei to continue.
“I believe that Huawei poses a national security threat to the United States. Huawei’s involvement in alleged sanctions violations, ties to China’s military, human rights abuses, and theft of intellectual property are deeply concerning,” undersecretary of commerce for industry and security nominee Alan Estevez wrote to the Senate Banking Committee. “Based on publicly available information that I know today, I do not see a reason to remove Huawei from the Entity List.”
The Gateway Pundit reported back in July on Tony Podesta getting the deal with Huawei: