• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Up
    Down
    ::

Musa Hasahya Kasera has so many children he can’t remember most of their names.

The Ugandan villager is struggling to provide for his vast family that he says includes 12 wives, 102 children and 578 grandchildren, and now feels enough is enough.

“At first it was a joke… but now this has its problems,” the 68-year-old told AFP at his homestead in the village of Bugisa in Butaleja district, a remote rural area of eastern Uganda.

“With my health failing and merely two acres of land for such a huge family, two of my wives left because I could not afford the basics like food, education, clothing.”
    “My wives are on contraceptives but I am not. I don’t expect to have more children because I have learnt from my irresponsible act of producing so many children that I can’t look after.”

Hasahya’s brood lives largely in a rapidly dilapidating house, its corrugated iron roof rusting away, or in about two dozen grass-thatched mud huts nearby.
    Attracted by his then status as a cattle trader and butcher, Hasahya said villagers would offer their daughters’ hand in marriage, even some much below the age of 18.

Child marriage was only banned in Uganda in 1995, while polygamy is allowed in the East African country according to certain religious traditions.

And now Hasahya is trying to get his family to America, where he has heard that there is much food and people are fat, even poor ones.

After 102 children, Ugandan villager says enough is enough

Musa Hasahya Kasera has so many children he can’t remember most of their names.”The challenge is I can only remember the name of my first and the last born but some of the children I can’t recall their names,” he said as he rummaged through piles of old notebooks looking for details about their births.

Matt
    Up
    Down
    ::

Dude sure was busy!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.