Last month, a 15-year-old student in Charlotte, North Carolina confided in her school’s administrators that a classmate had sexually assaulted her in the girl’s restroom. She claimed that the unnamed male student had been following her into the bathroom, groping her without consent and that he had been doing so “for weeks” before she was able to work up the nerve to come forward.
But instead of intervening or protecting her, the woke administrators at the Hawthorne Academy of Health Sciences inexplicably called her a liar and suspended her for “filing a false report,” even though the police had already charged the male student with two counts of sexual battery and even coaxed a confession out of him.
Fox46 Interviewed the teen victim about the incident:
The school has reportedly not punished the alleged attacker in any way.
“They are making her feel like she is being punished for coming forward,” the mother told WBTV.
The assaults went unreported for quite some time because, according to the Daily Beast, the victim “was afraid no one would believe her,” which makes the school’s punishment of her for coming forward that much more unsettling – also begs the question, what kind of ‘culture’ is in place at Hawthorne that would make a student feel that way?
After enduring the abuse for weeks, she felt confident enough to speak up after attending a Title IX assembly earlier in the year that encouraged students to come forward about instances of abuse.
From The Daily Beast:
“Around the time of the assembly, the girl spoke with another student who told her she had had a similar experience with the same assailant. The two of them brought their allegations to the assistant principal, who notified the police, triggering an investigation. (A copy of the police report reviewed by The Daily Beast states that two minors reported that the suspect “attempted to engage in sexual contact against the victims will.”)
A few weeks later, her mother said, the police called to say the alleged assailant had confessed. He was later charged with two counts of sexual battery.”
The whole situation has left the victim’s mother completely shocked, especially with the school’s decision-making. While remaining anonymous for her daughter’s protection, she told The Daily Beast this week that she believes the school “has failed” her daughter.
“Schools teach your kids – ‘you see something, you say something’ – and in this case my daughter did, and it seems that the school system has failed her.”
Shortly after the school was notified of the incidents, the victim’s mother was informed by Hawthorne’s assistant principal – Nina Adams – that they had found no evidence of a sexual assault, and instead accused her daughter of filing a false report based on lies. When the mother confronted Adams with the fact that the police had gotten a confession to the assaults from the male student, she brazenly replied “unfortunately, the police department has nothing to do with the school system.”
“I said to her, ‘I’m a little confused because this student admitted to the detectives that interviewed him at the police station that he did in fact do this,’’’ the mother recalled. “And she said, ‘Unfortunately, what the police department does has nothing to do with the school system.’”
Keep in mind, this is a PUBLIC school official…
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District has been largely silent throughout the incident. Members of the board who were questioned by WBTV refused to comment at all, and even the mother of the victim said she had not heard from them until this Friday when someone from their office called to say they were opening an investigation. Hawthorne’s principal – Diann Weston – has not reached out to the mother or the victim even once.
The only one to issue a public statement was the District’s Superintendent, Earnest Winston, who said he could not release “confidential information about such matters as individual student discipline or ongoing police investigations.”
Despite intense criticism and protests by students and parents, the school is refusing to back down from requiring the victim to not only serve her suspension but also sign a “non-retaliation” agreement against her attacker and unbelievably attend a class called “sexual assault is preventable” before they allow her to return to class.
By forcing her to attend this class, the administrators are directly implying that the 15-year-old could have prevented the assaults if she modified HER behavior in some way.
It is a bit similar to the Loudon County assault case.
If you are a parent or have any concerns you would like to share with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District about this incident and their decision to punish the student for coming forward, they can be contacted HERE – and the School Board can be found HERE.
Or you can contact the Hawthorne Academy of Health Sciences directly HERE.