in

Transfer Talk: Phillips to spurn Manchester United for Manchester City if Leeds go down

transfer-talk:-phillips-to-spurn-manchester-united-for-manchester-city-if-leeds-go-down

The summer transfer window is approaching, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!

TOP STORY: Man City to sign Phillips if Leeds go down?

Manchester City are looking to beat rivals Manchester United to the signing of Leeds United talisman Kalvin Phillips, according to the Daily Star.

Phillips is expected to leave his boyhood club this summer if they are relegated, with Jesse Marsch’s side currently sitting one point outside the bottom three ahead of the final weekend, but with Burnley and Everton both in action on Thursday night.

There is plenty of interest in the England international, with Liverpool, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain also looking at a deal worth a potential £60 million. Phillips has already told those close him that he has no intention of joining United due to the intense and historic rivalry they have with Leeds.

And, while reluctant to leave the club he has supported since being a young boy, Phillips would prefer to stay in the Premier League. He could reportedly triple his wages and would find the prospect of working with Pep Guardiola too hard to turn down, given City have no such rivalry with Leeds.

On Wednesday, sources told ESPN that Man City, who have already agreed a £51m deal to sign Dortmund striker Erling Haaland, want to bring in new reinforcements — including a midfielder and a full-back — during the summer window. Guardiola is also interested in Declan Rice but reportedly feels a £100m transfer for the West Ham United star could be too expensive as he looks for a replacement for Fernandinho.

Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)

– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

LIVE BLOG

08.30 BST: Samuel Umtiti has not decided yet on where he will play next season but is open to leaving Barcelona on loan, according to Mundo Deportivo.

The France defender is widely expected to leave Barca this summer in search of more playing time and is considering his options. Injuries have limited Umtiti to just one appearance for Barca this campaign.

Arsenal and former club Lyon are among those interested in signing the 28-year-old, whose contract with Barca runs through June 2026. Umtiti, who took a salary cut earlier this year, is willing to facilitate his departure and is open to leaving on loan or on a permanent transfer this summer.

Barcelona, meanwhile, have already chosen Umtiti’s replacement. The club has set its sights on Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly, Sport reports.

Koulibaly, 30, has one year left on his contract with Napoli and is keen to join Barca this summer, but his transfer could cost upwards of €60m.

Still, Barca coach Xavi is an admirer of the Senegal centre-back, who has turned down a contract extension to continue with the Serie A outfit beyond 2023.

play

1:43

Gab and Juls debate which clubs could sign Robert Lewandowski if he leaves Bayern Munich.

PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)

Sky Sports Deutschland have reported that Bayern Munich have held a first meeting with the representatives of Stuttgart striker Sasa Kalajdzic. An agreement hasn’t been reached yet but Bayern are doing all they can to bring him in, with Stuttgart willing to let the frontman leave for around €20m-€25m, with his contract set to end in 2023.

– Discussions between Barcelona and Chelsea left-back Marcos Alonso are at an advanced stage, according to Fabrizio Romano, who adds that the 31-year-old wants to return to Spain. The deal will rest on how much Chelsea want for his transfer, as Barcelona aren’t willing to spend a large fee on a player whose contract ends in 2023.

– Barcelona will begin work on a deal to sign Endrick from Palmeiras in the coming days, with the Brazilian forward turning 16 in July, reports Diario Sport. It is expected that he would continue to play for Palmeiras until 2024, when he would be 18 years old, but the Blaugrana don’t want to risk missing out on signing him. Real Madrid have also been linked.

Calciomercato have reported that Lazio are negotiating with AC Milan centre-back Alessio Romagnoli, who will be a free agent in the summer. The talks have been ongoing since February and Lazio boss Maurizio Sarri has made Romagnoli a priority, with the defender wanting to play for the Rome side.

– Lazio aren’t stopping there, as Sky Sports Italia have suggested they are close to agreeing a deal for Shakhtar Donetsk‘s 21-year-old midfielder Marcos Antonio that would be worth €8m. While a contract hasn’t been signed yet, there has been a verbal agreement between the two parties. Lazio see Antonio as somebody they can play immediately but also develop for the future.

What do you think?

Written by Sportsman

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
despite-use-of-term-‘birthing-persons’-no-data-forthcoming-on-how-many-trans-men-give-birth

Despite use of term ‘birthing persons’ no data forthcoming on how many trans men give birth

amid-baby-formula-shortage,-mothers-express-fear,-one-receiving-product-from-mexico

Amid baby formula shortage, mothers express fear, one receiving product from Mexico